Monday, July 22, 2013

RAGING STORMS


The wind is blowing with gusting strength, the headwind is pressing in hard,
 the waves are slamming relentlessly which are nearly drowning all that is in its path.

I came home yesterday to find my back door blown wide open and a severe force of wind blowing in a pelleting blast of rain which quickly flooded the room. All this in a matter of a few minutes. 
Then I spent the next several minutes mopping up the mess and praying that there is no 
damage to the wood floor. Though there was no sin involved in this situation, it got me to think how quickly sin can blow through my life, cause havoc and then leave potential damage.
 Meanwhile, I try my hardest to mop up the mess.

Is there a storm in your life?
Is the blowing wind of the situation sending things in a whirlwind?
Is the headwind of circumstances causing unnecessary pressure?
Is there slamming and crashing of life's choices over taking all?

"The word of the Lord came to Jonah... But Jonah ran away from the Lord...
"Then the Lord sent a great wind on the sea, and such a violent storm arose 
that the ship threatened to break up"
Jonah 1:1,3,4

If there is a storm in your life, are you not listening, are you running from the Lord as Jonah did?
I know for myself, there have been many times that I just didn't want to hear the truth and then I would start running in the opposite direction only to find myself lost and alone, thankfully, not in the belly of a great fish!
Sin enters into the equation, causing a separation from the only one who can help in time of need, God. 
Go figure, how smart is that.  It is not smart, but it is "self" that rears it's ugly head.

"But since you refuse to listen when I call
    and no one pays attention when I stretch out my hand,
25 since you disregard all my advice
    and do not accept my rebuke,
26 I in turn will laugh when disaster strikes you;
    I will mock when calamity overtakes you
27 when calamity overtakes you like a storm,
    when disaster sweeps over you like a whirlwind,
    when distress and trouble overwhelm you.
28 “Then they will call to me but I will not answer;
    they will look for me but will not find me,
29 since they hated knowledge
    and did not choose to fear the Lord.
30 Since they would not accept my advice
    and spurned my rebuke,
31 they will eat the fruit of their ways
    and be filled with the fruit of their schemes.
32 For the waywardness of the simple will kill them,
    and the complacency of fools will destroy them;
33 but whoever listens to me will live in safety
    and be at ease, without fear of harm.”
Prov. 1:24-33


The storm mostly likely is the consequences of the choices we have made. A storm caused from the result of rejection, refusal and/or rebellion, sin! We complain, a self-centered denial, and then we face the discipline of the Lord. But, there is a warning here as a believer, that we are never to think that the discipline of the Lord is anything but loving and gracious.  The enemy would have us believe otherwise thinking that the disciple is a cold-hearted punishment. Remember, His word speaks the truth.

"My son, do not make light of the Lord's discipline, and do not lose heart when He rebukes you, because the Lord disciplines those He loves, and He punishes everyone He accepts as a son"
Heb. 12:5-11

The Lord disciplines us because He loves us.  Discipline should cause us to understand that, to repent and renew a relationship with Him. He wants us to succeed, to be holy as He is Holy so that our lives will reflect Him and His grace for us. Through the testings,trials and temptations, the circumstances, situations and life in general, the Lord is there with an open door to receive, repent and renew. 

“As obedient children, do not conform to the evil desires you had when you lived in ignorance. But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do; for it is written: ‘Be holy, because I am holy’"

Lord, may the Raging Storms of our lives be calmed by the peace of a repenting heart.

 photo 015c62a8-9458-48a4-9aa4-991065c2720a_zpsf63dba57.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment