Monday, August 12, 2013

THE POWER OF HIS LOVE

     The power of His love, that of Jesus, was brought to my attention in a different way yesterday as I listened intently to my Pastor's lesson. He shared Mark 6:30-44 of Jesus feeding the multitudes. Like you, I have read and heard the story many times, but for some reason it was different yesterday. I love the way God speaks to us individually and specifically through His word, don't you!

     What was going through my mind, was how willing Jesus was to reach out to those who wanted to hear what He had to say. Thousand gathered and surround this man of such wisdom, desperately needing to hear every word that He spoke. They traveled miles on water and land hauling children, encouraging the elderly and toting necessities just to sit at his feet. With that in mind, it caused me to think of how far I would travel, how determined would I be if I had to carry my children just to hear a man speak. The people saw the extraordinary in this man and Jesus saw the need to tend to this flock that followed Him. One was needing and One was giving. Scripture tells us that, "Jesus had compassion on them".  Would I have compassion for someone that followed me?

     Two questions are presented here, the first being, would I go to that extent to listen. They went miles and for me, it is a jaunt down the stairs to my quiet place to listen and sadly to say, some days that seems like miles away. How sad is that!  And the worst part of it all is, that I had a good night sleep the night before compared to the long and tiring day Jesus and His apostles had just had. Yet, Jesus stopped what He was doing, tired and hungry, to offer a teaching that they longed hear. This portion of scripture showed me that I want even more to be like those that traveled miles, driven with a burning desire just to hear what Jesus has to say. I want to hunger and thirst for His word.
 Matt. 5:6, Isa. 55:1, John 4:14, Rev. 22:17

     The second question that was asked, "Would I have compassion for someone that followed me?" Mercy is not my love language, nor my gifting, so I feel a struggle coming on.  Yet, I was created in His image, I am told to be holy as He is Holy and I am to do unto others as I would like them to do unto me. I am told to me Christ Like! The question before me, is how many times have I walked away from the opportunity to share the love of God to someone who needed to hear that? Did I pass up a chance to show the compassion Jesus has for His lost flock? I am an ambassador, one who should be ready with every breath of my life to share who Jesus is.
Gen. 1:27, 1 Peter 1:16, Matt. 7:12, 2 Tim. 4:2

Lord, my prayer today is that I would have a burning desire to be with you no matter how or where and to have compassion for those I encounter along the way who want to know you.
I pray this in Your Son's most precious name, Jesus
Amen
 
 photo 015c62a8-9458-48a4-9aa4-991065c2720a_zpsf63dba57.jpg

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Mrs. Rogers for posting this! I really needed to hear that tonight! I am so blessed to have you in my life. Brings back memories of the time we did the "Praying God's Word" Bible study at your house- that has been one of the most impacting studies in my life. I love your tender heart for the Lord. Miss you tons!
    Amy R.

    ReplyDelete